Saturday, September 12, 2009

Riga (Latvia)

Well, it's official, we're training like Latvians in India. Let me explain: The latvians have a reputation in the kalari for being like machines, no matter what they're given, they do it and more and more and more. Aubri and I were a bit worried about this, but we figured that Sherifka would slow them down, and yesterday's 25 minute practice gave us hope...but then today.

All I can say is, in the words of the great Axel Rose (Guns n Roses) "Welcome to the Jungle".  Those of you who practice Kalari might appreciate this. After warm-ups & kicks we did two salutation forms,  1st Shiva form twice,  Shiva 2 form once, 1st Shakti form twice, THEN, we moved on to long stick before finishing. For those of you who haven't practiced Kalari, it's like a freakin' triathalon! Needless to say,  I could barely make it to the shower & breakfast, but since we're on Indian training schedule, there is no rest until after lunch (although I may have cheated just a little...Aubri too).

A wonderful walk in the forest really evoked the Brothers Grimm fairy tales. It is so lush and beatiful! Berries and mushrooms, frogs, birds and all manner of bug  & creature there. After the morning, it all felt like a dream.

For the 4pm practice, we were told it would be easier, but I remembered from India that this was a load of crap fed to us so we actually show up for practice, and I was right. Our 'easy' practice constsisted of more warm-ups, salutation form, 1st shiva, Shakti forms 1-4 (thats right 1,2,3 &4 done straight through), Southern salutation, then, Merry Christmas... more long stick! HOLY COW!

After dinner, Sherifka gave a lecture in the form of question and answer, and once again, I was humbled and so grateful to have stumbled on to this path. I was moved to tears. Everything so big, and so simple.

If this is the 1st day, I am truly afraid for what happens tomorrow & the next day. But you wanna know what? I LOVE IT!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment